Saturday, July 3, 2010

Mmm...Blackberry Pie!

I love making pie...have I said that yet? If not....I will say it again...I love making pie!

So, I always make strawberry pie or raspberry pie, just because those are easiest, but this time, I made a blackberry pie using a blueberry pie recipe. Here it is for you to enjoy:



Blackberry Pie

2 Pie crusts (find my strawberry pie post....that is the best crust ever!)
2 pints blackberries (or blueberries)
2/3 c. plus 1 T sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon zest (don't have a zester? use a potato peeler and chop the lemon peel fine)
2 T. lemon juice
1 egg white lightly beaten
Vanilla ice cream

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place pie crust in pie plate.
2. In bowl, toss blackberries with 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice. Stand for 5 mins.
3. With the second pie crust....cut the crust into strips to create a lattice.
4. Transfer blackberry mixture into pie plate...cover with lattice crust.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 mins. Then drop the temperature for 350 mins for another 45 mins.
6. Serve slightly warm with ice cream....Ala Mode!



It was yummy! Even my brother who doesn't really care for fruity desserts enjoyed it. Jeremy thought it was a bit lemony....suggestion for next time would be to cut the 2 T of lemon juice down to 1 T or 1 1/2 T.

I hope you enjoy it! Say a little pray for those who you are making it for....and brighten your day...and theirs! God Bless! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh it looks PERFECT! Did it taste AMAZING? Where'd you find the blackberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did taste yummy...they were at Smiths, 2 for 5, which I thought was an Ok deal...

    ReplyDelete