Thursday, October 13, 2011

Summer Reading Continued... :)

Well as some of you know, my father requested that I read all of his favorite books, The Kent Family Chronicles before he dies. HAHA.... I certainly did just that and with LOTS of time to spare! :) In my most recent book review, I had the opportunity to read a Civil War Novel (love story) and was able to connect some of the knowledge I learned from The Kent Family Chronicles to this story....Dad would be soo proud! :)


His Steadfast Love
By: Golden Keyes Parsons

When I start a book that I don’t want to put down, that usually is a GOOD sign! I loved reading His Steadfast Love by Golden Keyes Parsons. This is a Civil War Novel that intertwines the concept of war with the concept of God’s never failing love. This story is a good reminder for anyone who might be struggling with their commitment to the Lord, their faith, or just their understanding of how great God’s love is for each of us.

Amanda Belle is a Southern woman who meets a Union Officer before the Civil War begins as he is stationed in Texas for a short time. He (Kent Littlefield) gets to know her family and inevitably falls in love with Amanda. He declares that he will come back for her and wishes to write her as well as get her father’s blessing, except that her father does not agree due to him being a Union Officer. Amanda and Kent correspond in secret until Amanda’s father passes away. Not only does the story focus on their love for each other, but it also focuses on aspects of the Civil War, and the main reason for all the fighting. The South wants the “choice” to keep their slaves without being bothered, and the North wants to end slavery completely. We see how Amanda is changed by the war (not that she was hard on her slaves, in fact she and her siblings had a very unique relationship with their slaves), and becomes devoted to her beloved Kent, even if it meant going against her brother Daniel, who also fought in the war, on the Confederate side.

As God’s message of love and forgiveness are woven into this story, so do the characters that Parsons writes about develop. It is an enjoyable story of love and commitment to your country and your family. I look forward to reading many more books by Golden Keyes Parsons!

I received this copy from Booksneeze. I did not receive compensation for my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment