Friday, August 13, 2010

My Favorite Place in the World

B-R-Double O-K, C-H-E-R-I-T-H, I-T-H
That's the only place to spend your summer, summer,
If you don't it's sure to be a bummer, bummer!
Brook Cherith Camp, a place of fond memories has reached it's end. After many years of spreading the good news about our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord took over debts and insecurities for those still involved with camp. Now it is being taken over by anothor ministry organization, which we can continue to pray for as they make changes for good to my beloved camp.
I spent 14 summers at this camp, 10 as a camper, 4 as a counselor/assistant director/cook/song leader/crazy woman....I committed my life to Christ at camp, met my best friend Aleisha at camp, met my husband at camp, and was even proposed to at camp.
While in Michigan visiting my in-laws, Aleisha and I went to camp for one last stroll down memory lane. Here are a few snapshots of my favorite place in the world.
These are the trailblazer cabins....as a counselor it was my favorite age to counsel, plus we had the best camp song to sing....and boy oh boy could my trailblazers sing!

During the second summer that Jeremy and I were together, Jeremy was at basic training, and Aleisha and I spent a lot of time writing letters on this porch to him. "Dear Chipper....."
Not my favorite place in the world....but it was for Jeremy! This is the swimming area where he was the lifeguard that first summer. I am moving buddy tag number 4....my number.
Sitting on the old worn down steps....very uncomfortable...but also unforgettable!

A beautiful place....I am so greatful that the land will still be used for summer camp. I hope that many more kids have the time of their lives the way I did each and every summer!
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."


2 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories I saw through your eyes on this last visit to camp. And, it was made even more special by visiting it with your best friend. Glad you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I came here with my school in October of 2010, we must have been some of the last people to stay in this amazing place while still being called Brook Cherith Camp. I'm not sure if you will even see this, seeing as this post is 8 years old, haha, but I came with a group of maybe 35-45 people with my elementary school, North Park Montessori. I really wish there were more pictures of here! We stayed in "haunted" cabin 10 and seeing the stars while on the lakefront was absolutely beautiful. I am so thankful for your work, and while I am not sure if you were working during the beginning of October, 2010, I thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete